Marks of an Expository Sermon
TES campus pastors Rick Holland and Jerry Wragg were recently interviewed on Preaching and Preachers, a podcast hosted by Jason K. Allen, president of Midwestern Seminary. This 30-minute interview focused on the marks of an expository sermon and covered topics such as:
- The definition of expository preaching
- The way expository preaching provides a safety net for preachers
- The need to proclaim the authorial intent of the passage
- The need to derive the main idea of the sermon from the main idea of the text
- The need to derive the points of the sermon from the shape and structure of the text
- The perspicuity of Scripture and its effect on the preacher
- The danger of reading theology into a text
- The need to preach the implications of the text
- The difference between implications and applications
You can listen to it here.
Rick Holland serves as Senior Pastor of Mission Road Bible Church in Kansas City, KS, and Jerry Wragg serves as the Pastor-Teacher of Grace Immanuel Bible Church in Jupiter, FL and President of The Expositors Seminary.